Although I have 6 years to complete it, I wanted to write down all the things I would like to do before I am 40 (although some things may get moved onto the ‘Things I want to do before I am 50 list!!).
I started thinking about things I wanted to do when I knew that I would have a few child free weeks over the summer and I knew that I would find that hard. So, instead of filling the days with housework or looking out the window like a dog waiting for their owner to come home I decided to think of some things I would like to do that I would not necessarily do, or cannot do with little ones around.
I was quite impressed with what I came up with…lets see if I do them all! (I will let you know at the end of the summer!)
Then when me and my friend were putting the world to rights, we talked about things we have always wanted to do but have put off mainly due to money. However, life is for living and unless I win the lottery there will no doubt always be reasons to not do things because of money.
I have always been incredibly careful with money and find it hard to spend and the idea of using a credit card or being in debt does not sit well with me (however, I do not judge anyone who does…I wish I could be a little bit more laid back about it). My friend spoke about what she would like to do for her 40th and so it has got me thinking too.
So far these are the things I would like to do before I am 40….
- Qualify as a counsellor
- Gain a job as a counsellor
- Become an accredited counsellor
- Have an article published
- Be invited to conferences to be a guest speaker (says the woman who does not like speaking in front of a small group or having the focus on her!)
- Have at least 500 followers on my blog
- Go back to Malta with my Mum and girls
- Get over my fear of flying
- Fly to Italy
- See monkeys in the wild
- See elephants in the wild
- Be in a position to buy a house
- Feel more confident in my own skin
- Write a book
- Go to Wimbledon to watch the tennis
- Meet Gillian Anderson (I somehow do not imagine that will happen, but one can dream!)
- Take more risks
- Swim under a waterfall
- Go on a zip wire (someone would have to push me!)
- Attend an event that gives me an excuse to wear a fancy dress
- Own an original piece of art (having said that my house has plenty of paintings by my very talented Mum and my late Grandad, I wish I could paint like them)
- Watch a sunset somewhere exotic
- Go to a posh restaurant
- Swim with wild dolphins in New Zealand
I am sure I will think of other things I would like to do but looking at it, it is quite a list to achieve in 6 years! I do not even know where to start but I suppose on reflection in a way I have started by thinking about what I would like to do and writing it down.
So, for now I will sit and ponder on these 24 things and where I would like to start…maybe I will try to pick one thing that seems possible to achieve this year and take it from there.